Thursday, March 1, 2012

Catching Fire

Author's Note: In this essay I explain the wonderful adventures you face in the book, Catching Fire. This book really realed me in and never once did I want to put it down. This book made me feel I was in the adventures right besides Katniss, Peeta, and the rest of the gang. I hope you enjoy it and it will inspire you to read the series!



You get home after a situation where you’re most likely to be slaughtered. Then the next thing you know, you’re forced back in the arena were you where promised you’d never have to step foot in ever again. The nightmares, memories, both physical and emotional scars that, that arena has brought you, you must and will repeat them. Catching Fire, as some of you may know, is the second book in the Hunger Games series. I couldn’t have thought of a better ending for the book, or both the books for that matter; leaving you running to the nearest book store to get the next book in the series. The Hunger Games series, by Suzanne Collins is by far my favorite series. She makes you really think on what will happen next and has an amazing talent with writing and reeling in the reader.

Suzanne Collins did an incredible job writing the series, one thing she did that made the book as famous as it is today is the character development. I have never been able to imagine a character so clearly in my mind while reading this book. For example, when the capitol started to target her she had to become a real woman and act mature, because it was the capitol of the country she was dealing with and not a friend she's known since birth. Also Suzanne did a beautiful job when she was describing Peeta and his unconditional love for Katniss. Every scene and setting from every chapter seemed so surreal like I’ve been there before. During the Quarter Quell, or the Hunger Games, is when a lot of the setting detail really started to form in my mind. That’s why it was really fun to see the movie trailers, because once it showed all the characters and settings I was so excited I was like, “That’s exactly how I pictured him or her to look like!” I’m very impressed with how great of a job she did and I’m excited to see how it all come together in the movie to connections with how I imagined the setting or characters to be.

While reading Catching Fire, I couldn’t help but notice how throughout all the chapters of the book during the games, Katniss never once saw an injured tribute and walked away. She would help them up and nurse them back to health with all she had, even though they were put into that arena to compete and win. I really admire her about that and hope that I can be like that and put myself aside to help others when they’re helpless. For example when she saw Mags she couldn't help but fish her out of the lake while she was drowning and help her. In the book she always had troubles finding herself and what her gift is. I believe Katniss's gift is to lay down her life to help others and put them first when they’re in need.

From the beginning to the end of Catching Fire, not only were the characteristics a phenomenal feature in the book, but also the thrilling adventure. As pages and pages went on, I couldn’t help but repeatedly think to myself I wouldn’t be able to put the book down until I found all the answers to my questions. There was never a moment in the book, or even the series as a whole that I was thinking to myself, Okay this part is kind of boring, speed it up. It always kept me entertained and I never felt like I had something better to read.

Catching Fire was a fantastic book; I never thought that I could ever read a book so quickly! It was a concoction of happiness, adventures, and danger. I would recommend it to anyone who’s up for a thrilling ride. To be honest I’ve never been a big reader, but once I got my hands on this book, I felt as if I was a completely different person reading for so much. Catching Fire is a great book for people of all ages, strap your seat belt and get ready for an adventure once again, and maybe you’ll enjoy just as much as I did.      

No comments:

Post a Comment