Monday, May 21, 2012

My Hunger Games

Author's Note: Here is a story about my day at the reaping and being chosen in The Hunger Games.

“Emilee Rebecca Toureene.” Effie says in her puffy purple gown covered in blue sparkle and drastic bows. It must be a mistake. My whole body feels  heavy  like a   barrel of coal being lifted to the mines. My mouth goes dry as the people around me slowly step away making a clear path for me to walk toward the stage. I slowly walk with the peacekeepers hand on my lower back forcing me to walk faster, but without the rest of District 12 knowing. “Don’t be shy” Effie says in her joyful, happy hunger games voice. I enter the stage slightly hesitant . I spot my mother ,I can see her trying to hide the pain inside her starved body. “Drew Richmond.”   Hollers Effie.I don’t recognize him but he looks rather young. I look out in the crowd to see their expressions. I see Katniss Everdeen who lost her father in a coal mining accident years back. My father was there but he was late for duty and just missed the explosion, where he would have been blown to bits. If only I could have her strength and confidence. She could win this thing easily, but there’s always next year. Effie yanks on my arm, “Come on let’s go now! “ I exit through large brick doors.”You will love your experience here, glass chandeliers, velvet curtains.I sit down on the chair and try to sort out everything that just happened in the past forty minutes. “Tonight is the tribute parade.” Effie says most likely knowing we’re both not listenin. Tears slowly start to run down my eyes as I look out the window. I refuse to look into anyone’s eyes, it comes to my senses then that “I am going to die.”

No comments:

Post a Comment