Tuesday, February 19, 2013

My Beautiful Angel

Author's Note: This is a creative piece about when my grandpa passed away.

I see his eyes glimmering at me
I feel his laughter in me
and his comfort all around me
My mom wraps her arms around me to pick me up
she walks me closer to see a man in a dark wooden casket
To see the horrors of my best friend dead is like someone flushing all the happiness and memories from your body
My two older sisters were there stroking his hair and holding his hand
"I love you grandpa." I'd hear them whisper
I turn my head because I can't stand to see him so cold and still.
I sit down on a chair in the back of the room watching my parents and grandma shaking our guests hands.
I straighten my favorite yellow dress with pink flowers
I hear people apologizing and hugging my family
They don't know, I think to myself. He was my grandpa, he read to me, and danced with me, and played games with me
I feel sick. 
I tugged my mom's dress and told I don't feel good.
My uncle took me into another room in the back of the funeral home
He gives me a cold rag to put on my forehead as I lay on an old, smelly couch.
I don't have the flu or a fever
I don't feel well because I don't get to see my grandpa anymore.
All I want right now is to see my grandpa and play a game with him. 
I know he is always with me
I have an angel watching over me
Protecting me and making sure I'm safe
I don't know why Jesus decided it was time for my friend to go
But I trust that he had a reason 
I now can say that I have the nicest, funniest, angel ever

No comments:

Post a Comment